Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Riding The Edge On 3s



We haven't had a chance to shoot any new Edge video, but for those who may have missed it, here's our last time out. It was the first time I had ever flown the plane on 3s instead of the customary 4s, and the wind was really horrific. It's pretty easy to see what a confidence inspiring plane the Edge 540 is.

I've previously written about power systems and why I think 190 watts per pound (WPP) is the best way to go for 3D flying. You can find that on this blog at  Power System Theory And Execution


My mini Slick is 180WPP and so is my 46" Vyper. I recently I switched my 47" SHP over to 3s and 180 WPP and it is so much nicer of a plane that way,  I really did waste my first two years flying SHPs by overpowering them and not getting the benefit of their sublimely docile nature. I've flown all of these planes on 4s, but with more reasonable 3s power and 180 PP, they are so much more pilot friendly that ever before. It is like rediscovering them all over again.

My best plane is the 47" Edge 540. The Vyper is my fav, but the Edge brings out the best part of my 3D game. Going to 3s on the Edge was shocking because previously I had never before flown an airplane I have had so much confidence in. There was no way for me to believe the Edge could be even better than it already was, but the quantum leap was startling.

So far these are my only three flight with the edge on 3s, but you can bet there's going to be plenty more.













No comments:

Post a Comment