Thursday, September 2, 2010

Not Going Away Quietly ....


Well, we just thought the Extra SR had gone away without a whimper. There was no announcement and no fanfare. The plane simply went on closeout, and then disappeared.

Of course, mine was never going to get such an easy retirement. A good warior never fades away and goes out in a blaze of glory instead. No blaze so far, but I am sure it's coming.

The following videos are my last flights with my old war dog SR before she went to her new owner. We filmed about 25 off the wall videos with this plane, including the "Bad Attitude" series. She was an awesome airplane that gave me an enormous amount of enjoyment.


Coupled with the yellow Extra SHP being phased out, I found the passing of the SR to be extremely sad. This was a plane that I not only enjoyed immensely, but she opened a lot of doors for me in the industry. The SR was our first project for Thunder Power when we introduced the then-new 4s 2600 Extreme V2 pack. That pack may as well have been custom made for that plane, or vice versa. It was a perfect match.

The SR was my front line plane for the better part of two years. In that time, in spite of flying them right on the edge the entire time, I never destroyed one. They were always passed on to new loving homes where they continued to be flown hard and several of them are still out there.


I recently built up one of the very last examples because I just wanted to always have one. I had intended to trim it out and park it for display, but the SR has always been too good to simply sit around. As part of my recent conversion to more reasonably balanced power systems, I've been flying her on Thunder Power 3s 2250 and 2700 Pro Power 30C batteries. While she has given up some of her bad assness, she is much easier and more plesant to fly.

We hope to get some 3s SR video in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment